- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 855
- Fat Content: 47g
- Saturated Fat Content: 17g
- Carbohydrate Content: 57g
- Sugar Content: 6g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 55g
- Sodium Content: 2.73g
Chicken & mushroom puff pie
- vegetable-oil - 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- chicken-thigh - 8 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- streaky-bacon - 8 rashers smoked streaky bacon, cut into large pieces
- onion - 1 onion, halved and sliced
- mushroom - 250g pack baby button mushrooms
- thyme - handful thyme sprigs
- plain-flour - 2 tbsp plain flour
- chicken-stock - 400ml chicken stock
- milk - 200ml milk
- puff-pastry - 500g pack fresh puff pastry, or frozen and defrosted
- egg - 1 egg, beaten
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a large, non-stickfrying pan.
- Season 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs and fry for 5-8 mins until golden brown, turning occasionally. You may need to do this in two batches, depending on the size of your pan.
- Lift the chicken onto a plate and tip 8 smoked, streaky bacon rashers, cut into large pieces, into the pan. Fry for 5 mins until crisp.
- Add 1 halved and sliced onion, 250g baby button mushrooms and a handful of thyme sprigs, then fry on a high heat for another 3 mins until the onions start to colour.
- Tip 2 tbsp plain flour into the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 min.
- With the pan off the heat, gradually stir orwhiskin 400ml chicken stock, followed by 200ml milk, then add the chicken back to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 mins. Spoon the filling into a large pie or baking dish (approx 20 x 30cm) with a lip and leave to cool.
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. On a floured surface,roll500g puff pastry to the thickness of two PS1 coins.
- Cut a long strip as wide as the rim of the pie dish and, using a little of the 1 beaten egg, fix to the edge of the pie dish.
- Brush with beaten egg, then lift the rest of the pastry over the pie, using the rolling pin to help. Gently press the edges with your fingers and trim with asharp knife.
- Brush lightly with egg to glaze, then bake for 30 mins or until the pastry is risen and dark golden brown.
Pie recipe for 4 – 6 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has vegetable oil, chicken thigh, streaky bacon, onion, mushroom, thyme, plain flour, chicken stock, milk, puff pastry and egg.Add to Favourites