- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 145
- Fat Content: 6g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0g
- Carbohydrate Content: 17g
- Sugar Content: 6g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 0.56g
Chickpeas with tomatoes & spinach
- vegetable-oil - 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- red-onion - 1 red onion, sliced
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- root-ginger - 1/2 finger length piece fresh root ginger, shredded
- red-chilli - 2 mild red chillies, thinly sliced
- turmeric - 1/2 tsp turmeric
- garam-masala - 3/4 tsp garam masala
- ground-cumin - 1 tsp ground cumin
- tomato - 4 tomatoes, chopped
- tomato-puree - 2 tsp tomato puree
- chickpea - 400g can chickpea, rinsed and drained
- baby-spinach - 200g baby spinach leaves
- naan-bread - rice or naan bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the onion over a low heat until softened. Stir in the garlic, ginger and chillies and cook for a further 5 mins until the onions are golden and the garlic slightly toasted.
- Add the turmeric, garam masala and cumin, stirring over a low heat for a few secs. Tip in the chopped tomatoes and add the tomato puree, then simmer for 5 mins.
- Add the chickpeas to the pan with 300ml water (fill the can three-quarters full). Simmer for 10 mins before stirring in the spinach to wilt. Season and serve with rice or naan.
Light supper recipe for 4 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has vegetable oil, red onion, garlic clove, root ginger, red chilli, turmeric, garam masala, ground cumin, tomato, tomato purée, chickpea, baby spinach and naan bread.