Chocca mocca caramel cake
- instant-coffee - 2 tsp instant coffee granules/powder
- cocoa-powder - 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- water - 2 tbsp hot water
- softened-butter - 175g softened butter
- golden-caster-sugar - 175g golden caster sugar
- egg - 2 eggs
- golden-syrup - 2 tbsp golden syrup
- self-raising-flour - 200g self-raising flour
- milk - 4 tbsp milk
- chocolate - 2 x 50g/2 x 2oz chocolate caramel bars
- chocolate - 100g chocolate caramel bars
- butter - 50g butter
- milk - 2 tbsp milk
- icing-sugar - 100g icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4/fan oven 160C. Butter a 20cm/8in round cake tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- Measure the coffee and cocoa into a cup, add the hot water and mix to a smooth paste. Put the butter, sugar, eggs, syrup, flour, milk and cocoa paste in a large mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or electric beaters for 2-3 minutes until smooth. Break the caramel bars into sections and stir into the mixture.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top springs back when you press it lightly. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out, peel off the lining paper and leave to cool.
- To make the icing, break up the caramel bars and put in a small pan with the butter and milk. Gently heat until smooth, stirring all the time, then remove from the heat and stir in the icing sugar (don't worry if it doesn't dissolve immediately, just keep stirring). Leave to cool until it thickens enough to leave a trail when you lift the spoon. Put the cake on a serving plate, spread the icing over the top, letting it fall softly down the sides, then leave to set.
Easter baking recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has instant coffee, cocoa powder, water, softened butter, golden caster sugar, egg, golden syrup, self-raising flour, milk, chocolate, chocolate, butter, milk and icing sugar.