- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 683
- Fat Content: 30g
- Saturated Fat Content: 14g
- Carbohydrate Content: 97g
- Sugar Content: 79g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 9g
- Sodium Content: 0.63g
- butter - 200g butter
- sugar - 200g dark brown soft sugar
- dark-chocolate - 100g dark chocolate (we used 80%) broken into chunks
- brandy - 75ml brandy
- vanilla-extract - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- raisin - 250g raisins
- currant - 250g currants
- dried-cranberries - 100g dried cranberries
- sour-cherry - 100g dried sour cherries
- peel - 100g mixed peel
- self-raising-flour - 200g self-raising flour
- ground-almond - 100g ground almonds
- cocoa - 3 tbsp cocoa
- mixed-spice - 1 tsp mixed spice
- egg - 3 eggs, beaten with a fork
- Put the butter, sugar, chocolate, brandy, vanilla and dried fruits into a large saucepan. Heat gently, stirring occasionally until everything has melted together. Remove from the heat.
- Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Line a deep cake tin, 20cm round or 18cm square, with a double layer of baking parchment. Wrap a few layers of newspaper around the outside and secure with string.
- Mix the flour, almonds, cocoa and spice together. Stir the eggs into the slightly cooled chocolate mixture in the saucepan, followed by the flour mixture. Scrape into your prepared tin and bake for 1 1/2 hrs- 1 hr 45 mins or until a skewer poked in comes out clean. Cool in the tin, then decorate (see 'Goes well with', right, for decoration ideas).Greaseproof-wrapped cake will keep for 2 months in an airtight container.
Fruitcake recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has butter, sugar, dark chocolate, brandy, vanilla extract, raisin, currant, dried cranberries, sour cherry, peel, self-raising flour, ground almond, cocoa, mixed spice and egg.