- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 12
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 348
- Fat Content: 21g
- Saturated Fat Content: 12g
- Carbohydrate Content: 33g
- Sugar Content: 25g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 5g
- Sodium Content: 0.3g
Chocolate peppermint mini rolls
- butter - butter for the tin
- egg - 3 eggs
- golden-caster-sugar - 100g golden caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
- plain-flour - 80g plain flour
- cocoa-powder - 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- baking-powder - 1/2 tsp baking powder
- vanilla-extract - 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- dark-chocolate - 300g dark chocolate
- butter - 125g butter, softened
- icing-sugar - 125g icing sugar
- milk - 1 tsp milk
- peppermint-extract - few drops peppermint extract
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Line a 24 x 32cm Swiss roll tin with a piece of baking parchment and grease well.Whiskthe eggs and sugar together with an electric hand whisk for 2-3 mins or until thickened and very pale.
- Fold the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and vanilla extract into the egg mixture with a large metal spoon until there are no pockets of flour visible.
- Gently scrape the mixture into your prepared Swiss roll tin with aspatulathen smooth it out so it fills the tin evenly. Bake in the oven for 15 mins or until puffed up and springy when you touch it.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 1-2 mins or until cool enough to handle. Run arolling pinover it very gently to slightly flatten it, then carefully roll up the sponge along the longest edge while it's still warm (keeping the baking parchment attached). Take it halfway in, stopping when you get to the middle, then turn it around and start rolling from the other side to meet your first roll - just as you would making a scroll or palmier biscuits. Leave to cool completely in its rolled-up shape. Clean the electric beaters.
- While the sponge cools make the buttercream. Put the butter in a bowl with half the icing sugar, milk and peppermint extract. Beat well with a wooden spoon until smooth then stir in the rest of the icing sugar and switch to using the electric beaters and whisk up until pale. Taste a bit and add more peppermint extract if you like. Set aside somewhere cool until needed.
- Once the sponge is cold, slice it through the middle where the two rolls meet and uncurl them. Carefully spread or pipe the buttercream on top of each length of sponge in an even layer. Smooth it out with a palette knife or the back of a spoon then roll it up again as tightly as you can. Trim off the ends and cut each roll into 6 equal-sized sections. Chill them in the fridge on the tray while you prepare the topping.
- Melt the chocolate, either in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water or in the microwave (checking and stirring it every 30 secs until melted).
- Take the mini rolls out of the fridge then spoon the melted chocolate over them to cover them completely. Sit them on baking parchment until the chocolate has set firmly then serve. Keep in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 1 day.
Picnic recipe for 12 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has butter, egg, golden caster sugar, plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, vanilla extract, dark chocolate, butter, icing sugar, milk and peppermint extract.Add to Favourites