- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 486
- Carbohydrate Content: 62g
- Fat Content: 23g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 6g
- Saturated Fat Content: 13g
- Sodium Content: 0.8g
- Sugar Content: 41g
Christmas meringue pies
- plain-flour - 175g plain flour
- icing-sugar - 1 tbsp golden icing sugar
- cinnamon - 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- cloves - 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- butter - 100g cold butter, chopped
- egg-yolk - 1 egg yolk
- cornflour - 2 tbsp cornflour
- clementine - 8 clementines, zested and juiced (you need 125ml juice)
- orange - 3 oranges, juiced
- lemon - 1/2 lemon, juiced
- golden-caster-sugar - 100g golden caster sugar
- butter - 90g butter, cut into small pieces
- egg-yolk - 4 egg yolk
- caster-sugar - 200g caster sugar
- egg-white - 4 egg white
- Make the pastry by pulsing the flour, icing sugar, spices and 1/2 tsp fine salt together in afood processor, then add the butter and pulse again until it looks like breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and 1-2 tbsp cold water, and pulse until it forms a ball. Wrap and chill for 30 mins.
- For the curd, mix the cornflour with a splash of clementine juice to dissolve, then tip into a pan with the remaining juice, orange juice, clementine zest, lemon juice and sugar. Bring to a simmer briefly, then remove from the heat and whisk in the butter, a few pieces at a time, thenwhiskin the egg yolks thoroughly. Put back on a low heat, stirring constantly until thickened, then transfer to a bowl. Cover and leave to cool at room temperature.
- Rollthe pastry out (in two halves if you need to) to a few millimetres thick, and line eight individual tart tins about 8-9 cm wide. Trim the edges and chill for 10 mins. Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Line the pastry cases with a piece of parchment and some baking beans, and blind-bake on a large tray for 10 mins until golden brown.
- Remove the beans and bake for a further 5-8 mins until the pastry is completely cooked, and looks dry and crisp. Leave to cool in the tins.
- For the meringue, put the sugar in a pan with 50ml water. Bring to the boil and simmer until it reaches 116C on a sugar thermometer. At around 110C, whip the egg whites in a stand mixer to soft peaks. With the motor still running, slowly drizzle in the sugar syrup in a thin stream, then keep whisking until the meringue cools. Spoon into a piping bag with a round nozzle about 1cm wide.
- Spoon the curd into another piping bag, and pipe an even layer into the base of the pastry cases, or spoon it in, smoothing over with the back of teaspoon.
- Pipe blobs of meringue over the whole curd to form peaks. Use a blowtorch to briefly cook the meringue, or grill for 30 secs-1 min until golden. Serve straightaway.
Festive dessert recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has plain flour, icing sugar, cinnamon, cloves, butter, egg yolk, cornflour, clementine, orange, lemon, golden caster sugar, butter, egg yolk, caster sugar and egg white.