- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 300
- Fat Content: 13g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 21g
- Sugar Content: 10g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 26g
- Sodium Content: 0.9g
- olive-oil - 1-2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra if needed
- stewing-beef - 400g diced stewing beef
- onion - 1 onion, finely chopped
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ground-cumin - 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- chipotle-paste - 1-2 tbsp chipotle paste (or gluten-free alternative), depending on how spicy you like it
- kidney-bean - 400g can kidney bean in chilli sauce
- chopped-tomato - 400g can chopped tomato
- lime - 1 lime, zested and cut into wedges
- coriander - 1/4 small pack coriander, leaves only
- rice - cooked rice, to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the beef pieces for a few mins on each side until browned all over. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan, with extra oil if needed, and cook until softened. Stir in the garlic, cumin and chipotle paste, and cook for 1 min. Sieve the kidney beans, reserving the sauce. Add this sauce, along with the chopped tomatoes and a can full of water, to the pan. Stir well, then return the meat to the pan. Bring to a simmer, then cook, covered, for 2 hrs or until the beef is tender (or bake in the oven for 3 hrs at 160C/140C fan/gas 3).
- Add the reserved kidney beans and lime zest, season and warm through. Serve with a scattering of coriander leaves, the lime wedges to squeeze over, and rice, if you like.
Healthy chilli con carne recipe for 4 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has olive oil, stewing beef, onion, garlic clove, ground cumin, chipotle paste, kidney bean, chopped tomato, lime, coriander and rice.