- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 185
- Fat Content: 9.6g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 22.4g
- Sugar Content: 13.7g
- Fiber Content: 0.9g
- Protein Content: 2g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
Churros with chocolate dipping sauce
- butter - 50g butter, melted
- vanilla-extract - 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- plain-flour - 250g plain flour, from a new bag (essential for absorbing the liquid)
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- sunflower-oil - about 1 litre sunflower oil
- bread - a few chunks of bread
- dark-chocolate - 200g dark chocolate, not too bitter, broken into chunks
- double-cream - 100ml double cream
- whole-milk - 100ml whole milk
- golden-syrup - 3 tbsp golden syrup
- vanilla-extract - 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, if you have some
- caster-sugar - 100g caster sugar
- cinnamon - 2 tsp cinnamon
- Boil the kettle, then measure 300ml boiling water into a jug and add the melted butter and vanilla extract. Sift the flour and baking powder into a big mixing bowl with a big pinch of salt. Make a well in the centre, then pour in the contents of the jug and very quickly beat into the flour with a wooden spoon until lump-free. Rest for 10-15 mins while you make the sauce.
- Put all the sauce ingredients into a pan and gently melt together, stirring occasionally until you have a smooth shiny sauce. Keep warm on a low heat.
- Fill a large deep saucepan one-third full of oil.Cooking with hot oil can be dangerous - before you start, read up onhow to deep-fry safelyto avoid accidents in the kitchen.Heat until a cube of bread browns in 45 seconds to 1 min. Cover a tray with kitchen paper and mix the caster sugar and cinnamon together.
- Fit a star nozzle to a piping bag - 1.5-2cm wide is a good size. Fill with the rested dough, then pipe 2-3 strips directly into the pan, snipping off each dough strip with a pair of kitchen scissors. Fry until golden brown and crisp. Be very careful here - if air bubbles form in the churros they can explode, especially if the oil overheats or you use old flour.Cooking with hot oil can be dangerous - before you start, read up onhow to deep-fry safelyto avoid accidents in the kitchen.Keep children out of the kitchen and protect yourself by wearing long sleeves and eye protection, and keeping your face away from the pan.
- Once the churros are crisp and golden brown, remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on the kitchen paper-lined tray. Carry on cooking the rest of the dough in batches, sprinkling the cooked churros with some cinnamon sugar as you go. When you've cooked all the churros, toss with any remaining cinnamon sugar and serve with the chocolate sauce, for dipping.
Spanish recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has butter, vanilla extract, plain flour, baking powder, sunflower oil, bread, dark chocolate, double cream, whole milk, golden syrup, vanilla extract, caster sugar and cinnamon.