- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 330
- Fat Content: 10g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2g
- Carbohydrate Content: 38g
- Sugar Content: 2g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 23g
- Sodium Content: 0.71g
Classic chunky fish cakes
- potato - 1kg potatoes, peeled and chopped
- salmon - 1kg mix salmon and coley fillets
- lemon - zest and juice 1 lemon
- dill - bunch each dill, chives, parsley and spring onions, chopped
- tartar - 4 tbsp tartar sauce, plus extra to serve if you like
- egg - 3 eggs, beaten
- plain-flour - 100g plain flour
- breadcrumb - 250g breadcrumbs
- olive-oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- Cover the potatoes in cold, salted water and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook for 10-12 mins until tender. Drain and steam dry for a few mins, then mash and set aside to cool a little. Meanwhile, cook the fish. Cover in cold water and the lemon juice, bring to a gentle simmer, then poach for 5 mins (depending on the thickness of the fish) until just cooked through. Remove from the water, get rid of the skin and flake into large chunks.
- Put the lemon zest, herbs, spring onions, tartar sauce and some seasoning into a large bowl with the fish and the potatoes. Combine all the ingredients, then divide into 12 and shape into cakes.
- Put the eggs, flour and breadcrumbs on three plates. Dip each of the fish cakes in flour, pat off any excess, then dip in the egg. Finally, coat in the breadcrumbs and transfer to a clean plate or baking tray lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining fish cakes. You can freeze the fish cakes now for up to three months, or chill for 1-2 days.
- To cook, heat the grill to medium. Brush the fish cakes with the oil and grill for 4-5 mins each side until golden and hot through. Serve with extra tartar sauce and salad or green veg. Defrost frozen fish cakes overnight in fridge and cook as above. Alternatively, to cook straight from frozen, heat grill to medium, oil fish cakes as per recipe then grill 12-15 mins one side to brown, before flipping and grilling the other side for 5 mins more.
Healthy salmon recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has potato, salmon, lemon, dill, tartar, egg, plain flour, breadcrumb and olive oil.