- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 268
- Fat Content: 10g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 41g
- Sugar Content: 8g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 6g
- Sodium Content: 0.95g
Classic scones with jam & clotted cream
- self-raising-flour - 350g self-raising flour, plus more for dusting
- salt - 1/4 tsp salt
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- butter - 85g butter, cut into cubes
- caster-sugar - 3 tbsp caster sugar
- milk - 175ml milk
- vanilla-extract - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- lemon-juice - squeeze lemon juice (see Know-how below)
- egg - beaten egg, to glaze
- clotted-cream - jam and clotted cream, to serve
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7.
- Tip 350g self-raising flour into alarge bowlwith 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp baking powder, then mix.
- Add 85g butter cubes, then rub in with your fingers until the mix looks like fine crumbs then stir in 3 tbsp caster sugar.
- Put 175ml milk into a jug and heat in the microwave for about 30 secs until warm, but not hot.
- Add 1 tsp vanilla extract and a squeeze of lemon juice, then set aside for a moment.
- Put abaking sheetin the oven.
- Make a well in the dry mix, then add the liquid and combine it quickly with a cutlery knife - it will seem pretty wet at first.
- Scatter some flour onto the work surface and tip the dough out. Dredge the dough and your hands with a little more flour, then fold the dough over 2-3 times until it's a little smoother. Pat into a round about 4cm deep.
- Take a 5cmcutter(smooth-edged cutters tend to cut more cleanly, giving a better rise) and dip it into some flour. Plunge into the dough, then repeat until you have four scones. You may need to press what's left of the dough back into a round to cut out another four.
- Brushthe tops with a beaten egg, then carefully place onto the hot baking tray.
- Bake for 10 mins until risen and golden on the top. Eat just warm or cold on the day of baking, generously topped with jam and clotted cream.
- If freezing, freeze once cool. Defrost, then put in a low oven (about 160C/fan140C/gas 3) for a few mins to refresh.
All-time top 20 recipe for 8 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has self-raising flour, salt, baking powder, butter, caster sugar, milk, vanilla extract, lemon juice, egg and clotted cream.