- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 388
- Fat Content: 21g
- Saturated Fat Content: 18g
- Carbohydrate Content: 45g
- Sugar Content: 31g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 0.1g
- coconut-milk - 400g can full-fat coconut milk (must not contain stabilisers)
- icing-sugar - 140g icing sugar
- vanilla-bean-paste - 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- desiccated-coconut - 50g desiccated coconut
- coconut-oil - 100g coconut oil
- golden-caster-sugar - 225g golden caster sugar
- egg - 3 large eggs
- gluten-free-self-raising-flour - 200g gluten-free self-raising flour (the mix should include xanthan gum - I used Doves Farm)
- coconut-milk - 100ml coconut milk
- vanilla-extract - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Chill the can of coconut milk overnight. The next day, make the cakes. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin cases. Put the coconut oil and sugar in a large bowl and use an electric whisk to beat together for about 5 mins until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until fully combined before adding more. Working in three additions, add the flour, alternating with the coconut milk, then add the vanilla extract.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin using an ice cream scoop, then bake for 20-22 mins or until the cakes are golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- The whipped cream is best made within a few hours of serving. Open the can of coconut milk upside down and pour off the thin liquid. Scoop the thick coconut milk into a large bowl, add the icing sugar and the vanilla, and whisk for 2-3 mins until soft and fluffy. Spread or scoop the whipped cream onto the cupcakes and sprinkle with the desiccated coconut. Best stored in the fridge and eaten within a couple of days.
Gluten-free recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has coconut milk, icing sugar, vanilla bean paste, desiccated coconut, coconut oil, golden caster sugar, egg, gluten-free self-raising flour, coconut milk and vanilla extract.