- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 6 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 393
- Fat Content: 20.4g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6.7g
- Carbohydrate Content: 13.6g
- Sugar Content: 12.7g
- Fiber Content: 0.3g
- Protein Content: 38.2g
- Sodium Content: 5g
Cola ham with maple & mustard glaze
- gammon - 2kg unsmoked boneless gammon joint
- cola - 2l cola (not diet)
- carrot - 1 carrot, chopped
- onion - 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- celery - 1 stick celery, chopped
- cinnamon-stick - 1 cinnamon stick
- peppercorn - 1/2 tbsp peppercorns
- bay-leaf - 1 bay leaf
- maple-syrup - 150ml maple syrup
- wholegrain-mustard - 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- red-wine-vinegar - 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- clove - pinch of ground cloves or five-spice
- Put 2kg unsmoked boneless gammon joint in a large pan and cover with 2l cola. Add 1 chopped carrot, 1 quartered onion, 1 chopped celery stick, 1 cinnamon stick, 1/2 tbsp peppercorns and 1 bay leaf.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer for around 2 1/2 hrs, topping up with boiling water if necessary to keep the gammon fully covered.
- Carefully pour the liquid away, then let the ham cool a little while you heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
- Lift the ham into aroasting tin, then cut away the skin leaving behind an even layer of fat. Score the fat all over in a criss-cross pattern.
- Mix 150ml maple syrup, 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar and a pinch of ground cloves or five-spice in a jug.
- Pour half over the fat, roast for 15 mins, then pour over the rest and return to the oven for another 30 mins, baste half way through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 mins, then spoon more glaze over the top.Can be roasted on the day or up to 2 days ahead and served cold.
Good Food magazine Christmas recipe for 6 – 8 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has gammon, cola, carrot, onion, celery, cinnamon stick, peppercorn, bay leaf, maple syrup, wholegrain mustard, red wine vinegar and clove.Add to Favourites