- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 271
- Fat Content: 13g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 29g
- Sugar Content: 26g
- Fiber Content: 7g
- Protein Content: 11g
- Sodium Content: 1g
Creamy beetroot curry
- vegetable-oil - 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- onion - 2 onions, very finely chopped
- mustard-seed - 2 tsp yellow mustard seed
- madras-curry-paste - 3 tbsp Madras curry paste
- beetroot - 1kg (peeled weight) raw beetroot, peeled, halved and thickly sliced
- green-chilli - 1 green chilli, halved lengthways
- chopped-tomato - 400g can chopped tomato
- ground-almond - 3 tbsp ground almond
- natural-yogurt - 4 tbsp low-fat natural yogurt, plus extra to serve
- basmati-rice - basmati rice, to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large lidded pan, stir in the onions and cook for 8 mins until soft. Tip in the mustard seeds and cook for 1 min until toasted. Stir through the curry paste and sizzle for 3 mins.
- Mix the beetroot through the spicy onions, then add the chilli, tomatoes and 2 cans of water. Cover and simmer for 30 mins, stirring occasionally, until the beetroot is tender. Remove the lid, turn up the heat and cook until the sauce is thick.
- Take off the heat, then stir through the almonds, yogurt and some seasoning. Top with yogurt and serve with basmati rice, if you like.
Indian recipe for 4 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has vegetable oil, onion, mustard seed, madras curry paste, beetroot, green chilli, chopped tomato, ground almond, natural yogurt and basmati rice.