- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 8 - 10
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 254
- Fat Content: 6g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2g
- Carbohydrate Content: 36g
- Sugar Content: 18g
- Fiber Content: 12g
- Protein Content: 13g
- Sodium Content: 1.8g
Creamy curried carrot & butter bean soup
- sunflower-oil - 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- onion - 2 onions, chopped
- turmeric - 1 tsp turmeric
- ground-ginger - 1 tsp ground ginger
- ground-coriander - 1 tbsp ground coriander
- curry-powder - 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- carrot - 1 1/4 kg carrot, 1kg/2lb 4oz roughly sliced, rest coarsely grated
- butter-bean - 3 x 400g cans butter beans, drained and rinsed
- vegetable-stock - 1.2l vegetable stock
- whole-milk - 400ml whole milk
- chive - snipped chives, if you like, to serve, plus 2 crusty loaves
- Put the oil and onions in the biggest saucepan or casserole you have and soften for 10 mins. Stir in the spices and cook for 2 mins, then add the sliced carrots with half the beans and the vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for 15-20 mins until the carrots are tender.
- Whizz the soup to a puree with a hand blender, or puree in batches in a blender or food processor. Tip it back into the pan (pour it through a sieve or a colander if you like), and stir in the remaining beans and grated carrot with 500ml hot water. Bring back to a simmer, then cover and cook gently for 10 mins.
- Stir in the milk and season to taste, then keep on a very gentle heat until needed. If you like, snip a few chives over and serve with crusty bread.
Healthy spring recipe for 8 – 10 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has sunflower oil, onion, turmeric, ground ginger, ground coriander, curry powder, carrot, butter bean, vegetable stock, whole milk and chive.