- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 8 - 10
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 207
- Fat Content: 14g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 5g
- Sugar Content: 5g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 15g
- Sodium Content: 2.6g
Cured salmon build-your-own bagel board
- black-pepper - 1 tbsp cracked black pepper
- muscovado-sugar - 75g muscovado sugar
- sea-salt - 60g sea salt flakes
- salmon - 1 filleted side of very fresh salmon (about 800g), skin on
- cream-cheese - 200g full-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- dill - small bunch of dill, finely chopped
- lemon - 1/2 unwaxed lemon, zested and juiced, plus extra wedges to serve
- cucumber - 1 small cucumber
- red-onion - 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- caster-sugar - pinch of caster sugar
- white-wine-vinegar - 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- bagel - selection of toasted bagels
- rye-bread - sliced rye bread
- caviar - small pot of salmon caviar
- caper-berries - caper berries or capers, drained
- Up to four days but at least two days before serving the salmon, mix the pepper, sugar and salt together. Pat the salmon dry with kitchen paper and run your hands over the flesh to find any stray bones - use tweezers to pull these out, if needed. Lay the salmon in a dish, skin-side down, and pack the salt mix over the flesh. Cover the fish with a board or tray weighed down with a few heavy cans or jars. Transfer to the fridge for at least two days or up to four, turning the fillet about every 12 hrs.
- To make the dill cream cheese,beatall of the ingredients together and set aside.This can be made up to a day ahead and chilled.
- To make the pickle, cut the cucumber in half lengthways, scoop out the seeds using a spoon, and slice into thin half-moons. Toss the cucumber with the red onion and a generous pinch of salt in a colander, then set aside for 30 mins to soften. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl or jar and top up with the sugar and vinegar.Can be eaten immediately or made up to two days ahead and chilled.
- Lift the salmon out of the curing mixture and wipe off any excess seasoning using kitchen paper. Put the fish on a large serving board andcarveinto thin slices. Serve with the bagels and rye bread, dill & lemon cream cheese, the pickle, salmon caviar, capers and lemon wedges.
Christmas brunch recipe for 8-10 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has black pepper, muscovado sugar, sea salt, salmon, cream cheese, dill, lemon, cucumber, red onion, caster sugar, white wine vinegar, bagel, rye bread, caviar and caper berries.