- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 16
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 373
- Fat Content: 17.2g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6.7g
- Carbohydrate Content: 48.4g
- Sugar Content: 38.6g
- Fiber Content: 2.2g
- Protein Content: 6.3g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
- blanched-almond - 100g blanched almond
- unsalted-butter - 180g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- light-muscovado-sugar - 180g light muscovado sugar
- orange - zest 1 large orange
- marmalade - 3 tbsp apricot jam or marmalade
- plain-flour - 225g plain flour
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- large-egg - 3 large eggs, beaten
- ground-almond - 100g ground almond
- milk - 2 tbsp milk
- dried-fruit - 500g mixed dried fruit
- glace-cherry - 100g whole glace cherry
- milk - 1 tbsp milk
- caster-sugar - 2 tsp caster sugar
- Put the almonds into a small bowl and pour over boiling water to just cover. Leave for 5 mins then drain in a sieve and leave to dry.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160 C fan/Gas Mark 4. Line a deep loose-based 20cm cake tin with baking parchment.
- Put the butter in a large bowl and beat well until soft. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Stir in the orange zest and apricot jam.
- Sieve together the flour and baking powder. Add the eggs to the creamed butter and sugar, a little at a time, beating well between each addition. If the mixture starts to curdle, stir in a little flour.
- Add the remaining flour and ground almonds and mix well. Mix in the milk and then add the dried fruit and cherries and mix gently together.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and spread level using the back of a spoon. Arrange the whole almonds close together in neat circles on the top of the cake. Bake in the oven for 45 mins.
- Lower the oven temperature to 160C/140 C fan/Gas Mark 3 and cook for a further 60-80 minutes. Check the cake after 50 minutes by inserting a wooden or metal skewer into the cake. When it's done it should have just a few crumbs attached. Check every 10 minutes - it's important not to overcook this cake so the centre will be a little soft.
- When cooked, remove the cake briefly from the oven, put the milk and sugar into a small pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Brush over the top of the cake and return the cake to the oven for 2-3 mins. Remove and allow the cake to cool in the tin. When quite cold remove from the tin and wrap in foil and keep for at least 2 days before cutting.
Retro cake recipe for 16 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has blanched almond, unsalted butter, light muscovado sugar, orange, marmalade, plain flour, baking powder, large egg, ground almond, milk, dried fruit, glacé cherry, milk and caster sugar.