- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 10 - 12
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 680
- Fat Content: 37g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8g
- Carbohydrate Content: 78g
- Sugar Content: 61g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 8g
- Sodium Content: 0.6g
Easy carrot cake
- vegetable-oil - 235ml vegetable oil, plus extra for the tin
- natural-yogurt - 100g natural yogurt
- eggs - 4 large eggs
- vanilla-extract - 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- orange - 1/2 an orange, zested
- self-raising-flour - 265g self-raising flour
- light-muscovado-sugar - 335g light muscovado sugar
- cinnamon - 2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- nutmeg - 1/4 fresh nutmeg, finely grated
- carrot - 265g carrots (about 3), grated
- sultanas - 100g sultanas or raisins
- walnuts - 100g walnuts or pecans, roughly chopped (optional)
- butter - 100g slightly salted butter, softened
- icing-sugar - 300g icing sugar
- cream-cheese - 100g full-fat cream cheese
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Oil andline the base and sidesof two 20cm cake tins with baking parchment.Whiskthe oil, yogurt, eggs, vanilla and zest in a jug. Mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg with a good pinch of salt in a bowl. Squeeze any lumps of sugar through your fingers, shaking the bowl a few times to bring the lumps to the surface.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, along with the carrots, raisins and half the nuts, if using. Mix well to combine, then divide between the tins. Bake for 25-30 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If any wet mixture clings to the skewer, return to the oven for 5 mins, then check again. Leave to cool in the tins.
- To make the icing, beat the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add half the cream cheese and beat again, then add the rest (adding it bit by bit prevents the icing from splitting). Remove the cakes from the tins and sandwich together with half the icing. Top with the remaining icing and scatter with the remaining walnuts. Will keep in the fridge for up to five days. Best eaten at room temperature.
Classic cake recipe for 10-12 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has vegetable oil, natural yogurt, eggs, vanilla extract, orange, self-raising flour, light muscovado sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, carrot, sultanas, walnuts, butter, icing sugar and cream cheese.