- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 489
- Fat Content: 22g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Carbohydrate Content: 22g
- Sugar Content: 9g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 48g
- Sodium Content: 2.1g
Easy chicken gumbo
- olive-oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- bacon-lardon - 200g smoked bacon lardons
- onion - 1 onion, sliced
- pepper - 130g pack Padron peppers, stalks removed, sliced (or 1 green chilli and 100g green pepper)
- chicken-breast - 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- plain-flour - 3 tbsp plain flour
- cajun-spice-mix - 1 tbsp Cajun spice mix
- garlic-clove - 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- chicken-stock - 500ml chicken stock
- okra - 175g pack okra, sliced (or 2 courgettes, sliced)
- passata - 500g carton passata
- spring-onion - 2 spring onions, sliced
- black-bean - cooked rice and black beans, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the lardons and onion, and fry for 5 mins until the bacon is starting to crisp and the onion is soft. Add the peppers, chicken and flour, and fry for a further 5 mins or until the chicken is golden brown and the flour is starting to take on a a biscuty colour.
- Stir in the Cajun spice mix and garlic, then slowly add the chicken stock, stirring all the time. Add the okra, passata and some seasoning and simmer for 20 mins, uncovered, over a medium heat. Stir frequently during cooking to loosen the flour from the base of the pan.
- Sprinkle over the spring onions and serve with rice and black beans.
Dairy-free recipe for 4 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has olive oil, bacon lardon, onion, pepper, chicken breast, plain flour, cajun spice mix, garlic clove, chicken stock, okra, passata, spring onion and black bean.