- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 12 - 16
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 452
- Fat Content: 24g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 53g
- Sugar Content: 34g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 0.9g
Easy vegan chocolate cake
- spread - a little dairy-free sunflower spread, for greasing
- avocado - 1 large, ripe avocado (about 150g)
- light-muscovado-sugar - 300g light muscovado sugar
- gluten-free-plain-flour - 350g gluten-free plain flour
- cocoa-powder - 50g good quality cocoa powder
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- gluten-free-baking-powder - 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- soya-milk - 400ml unsweetened soya milk
- vegetable-oil - 150ml vegetable oil
- vanilla-extract - 2 tsp vanilla extract
- avocado - 85g ripe avocado flesh, mashed
- spread - 85g dairy-free sunflower spread
- chocolate - 200g dairy-free chocolate, 70% cocoa, broken into chunks
- cocoa-powder - 25g cocoa powder
- soya-milk - 125ml unsweetened soya milk
- icing-sugar - 200g icing sugar, sifted
- vanilla-extract - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- sprinkle - gluten-free and vegan sprinkles, to decorate
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease two 20cm sandwich tins with a little dairy-free sunflower spread, then line the bases with baking parchment.
- Put 1 large avocado and 300g light muscovado sugar in a food processor and whizz until smooth.
- Add 350g gluten-free plain flour, 50g cocoa powder, 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder, 400ml unsweetened soya milk, 150ml vegetable oil and 2 tsp vanilla extract to the bowl with 1/2 tsp fine salt and process again to a velvety, liquid batter.
- Divide between the tins and bake for 25 mins or until fully risen and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean.
- Cool in the tins for 5 mins, then turn the cakes onto a rack to cool completely.
- While you wait, start preparing the frosting. Beat together 85g ripe avocado flesh and 85g dairy-free sunflower spread with electric beaters until creamy and smooth. Pass through a sieve and set aside.
- Melt 200g dairy-free chocolate, either over a bowl of water or in the microwave, then let it cool for a few mins.
- Sift 25g cocoa powder into a large bowl. Bring 125ml unsweetened soya milk to a simmer, then gradually beat into the cocoa until smooth. Cool for a few mins.
- Tip in the avocado mix, 200g sifted icing sugar, melted chocolate and 1 tsp vanilla, and keep mixing to make a shiny, thick frosting. Use this to sandwich and top the cake.
- Cover with sprinkles or your own decoration, then leave to set for 10 mins before slicing.Can be made 2 days ahead.
Easy vegan recipe for 12 – 16 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has spread, avocado, light muscovado sugar, gluten-free plain flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, gluten-free baking powder, soya milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, avocado, spread, chocolate, cocoa powder, soya milk, icing sugar, vanilla extract and sprinkle.Add to Favourites