- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 596
- Fat Content: 30g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10g
- Carbohydrate Content: 80g
- Sugar Content: 41g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 0.52g
Farmhouse blackberry & apple pie
- flour - 2 tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- pastry - 750g/1lb 10oz sweet dessert pastry
- bramley-apple - 1kg Bramley apples, peeled, cored, halved and sliced
- blackberry - 400g blackberries
- caster-sugar - 140g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- cinnamon - pinch ground cinnamon
- egg - 1 egg beaten with 2 tbsp milk
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. On a floured surface, roll out two-thirds of the pastry and use it to line a 23cm loosebottom fluted tart tin, leaving a slight overhang and keeping any pastry scraps. Chill the tart for 10 mins. Prick the base lightly with a fork, then fill with baking paper and baking beans. Place in the oven on a baking sheet for 20 mins, remove the beans and paper, then bake for 10 mins more until sandy brown and biscuity. Remove from the oven.
- Tip the apples into a large bowl and microwave on High for 3 mins. Toss in the berries, sugar, cinnamon and 2 tbsp flour with a pinch of salt and pile it into the case, saving 14 berries for later.
- Roll the remaining pastry and trimmings together into a square roughly 30 x 30cm. Cut out 8 strips of pastry about 3 x 30cm - if you cut round an average ruler the size will be perfect. Weave the strips of pastry evenly over the fruit to create a lattice pattern and push them into the edge of the tart. Trim the overhang of pastry, brush the lattice heavily with the egg, then scatter generously with more sugar. Plonk the remaining berries into the gaps, then bake for 1 hr until brown and bubbling. Leave the pie to cool for 30 mins until no longer scorching. Scatter with more sugar, slice and serve.
Seasonal September recipe for 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has flour, pastry, bramley apple, blackberry, caster sugar, cinnamon and egg.Add to Favourites