- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 371
- Fat Content: 21g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 28g
- Sugar Content: 2g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 17g
- Sodium Content: 0.7g
Fish cake fingers
- potato - 800g floury potato
- salmon-fillet - 2 skinless salmon fillets (about 250g), cut into chunks
- smoked-mackerel - 3 smoked mackerel fillets (about 140g)
- lemon - zest 1 lemon, saving juice to serve
- plain-flour - plain flour, for dusting
- egg - 3 eggs
- breadcrumb - 100g dried breadcrumb
- sunflower-oil - 3 tbsp sunflower oil, plus more if needed
- mayonnaise - 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- lemon-juice - lemon juice, from above
- garlic-clove - 1 small garlic clove, chopped (optional)
- frozen-pea - 200g frozen pea, cooked
- watercress - few handfuls watercress
- KIDS: The writing in bold is for youGROWN-UPS: The rest is for you.Make some mash.Tip the potatoes into a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Boil for 10 mins then lower the heat and drop in the salmon. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 3-5 mins more until the fish is cooked. Lift the fish onto a plate with a slotted spoon. Continue cooking the potatoes until soft, then drain. Tip the potatoes into a bowl and get your child to mash them.
- Flake the fish.While the potatoes cook, peel away the skin from the mackerel fillets and get your child to flake the meat into a small bowl - they can taste some at this point, if they like.
- Mix it all up.Add the lemon zest to the potato, and mash some more. Then add all the flaked fish and mix together well - don't worry about breaking up the fish. If you want, divide the mix in half and add any grown-up ingredients at this stage. Leave until cool enough to handle.
- Roll out into long sausages.Lightly flour a surface and crack the eggs into a dish. Get your child to whisk them while you tip the breadcrumbs into another dish. Then ask them to divide the mash into eight and roll them on the flour into long, fat cylinders.
- Dip them in egg.Working methodically, roll the sausages carefully in the egg.
- Coat in crunchy breadcrumbs.Once the sausages are completely coated in egg, roll them in the breadcrumbs, making sure that they are well coated. The fingers can now be kept in the fridge for 2-3 days, or frozen for 1 month. To cook from frozen, Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Drizzle some olive oil over the Fish cake fingers and bake for 25-30 mins, until cooked through and golden.
- Get a grown-up to cook them.Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the fingers in batches. Sizzle them for 8-10 mins, turning regularly until completely golden, then lift them out onto kitchen paper to drain. Keep them warm in a low oven while you cook the rest.
- Make a tasty sauce.While you are cooking the fingers, your child can mix the mayonnaise with the lemon juice and garlic - then get them to tip it into a small dish. Serve the fish cake fingers on a plate with the peas, watercress and some of the mayonnaise dip on the side.
Kids’ cooking recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has potato, salmon fillet, smoked mackerel, lemon, plain flour, egg, breadcrumb, sunflower oil, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic clove, frozen pea and watercress.