- Prep Time: 55 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 137
- Fat Content: 8g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4g
- Carbohydrate Content: 14g
- Sugar Content: 6g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 2g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
- butter - 175g slightly salted butter, softened
- golden-caster-sugar - 85g golden caster sugar
- vanilla-extract - 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- plain-flour - 225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- ground-cinnamon - 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- butter - 50g butter
- light-brown-soft-sugar - 50g light brown soft sugar
- golden-syrup - 50g golden syrup
- salt - 1/2 tsp salt
- plain-flour - 50g plain flour
- glace-cherry - 75g glace cherries, chopped
- flaked-almond - 75g flaked almonds
- dark-chocolate - 150g dark chocolate, chopped
- To make the biscuits, put the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and beat with an electric whisk until creamy. Add the flour and cinnamon, and combine with a spatula to make a soft dough. Form into a ball, wrap in cling film and chill for at least 1 hr.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, sugar, golden syrup and salt. Remove from the heat and whisk in the flour, then stir in the cherries and almonds. Set aside to cool and firm up a little. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Tip the dough onto a floured work surface and roll out to the thickness of a PS1 coin. Using a 6cm fluted cookie cutter, stamp out as many circles as you can, then scrunch up the trimmings, re -roll and stamp out some more. Transfer to the baking sheet, and spoon some of the Florentine mixture onto each biscuit until it's all used up. Bake on the middle shelf for 12-15 mins until the biscuits are golden and the topping has melted. Leave to cool on the sheet for at least 15 mins.
- While the biscuits cool, melt the chocolate in a small heatproof bowl suspended over a pan of gently simmering water, or in short bursts in the microwave. Stir every 30 secs or so to ensure it doesn't burn. Dip each biscuit about a third of the way into the chocolate, then return to the sheet to set. You may need to spoon the chocolate over the final few. Will keep for up to four days in a sealed container.
Edible gift recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has butter, golden caster sugar, vanilla extract, plain flour, ground cinnamon, butter, light brown soft sugar, golden syrup, salt, plain flour, glacé cherry, flaked almond and dark chocolate.