- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 17
- Fat Content: 0g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0g
- Carbohydrate Content: 4g
- Sugar Content: 4g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 0g
- Sodium Content: 0g
Fragrant mango & apple chutney
- mango - 3 1/4 large ripe mangoes, about 1kg/ 2 1/4lb
- sunflower-oil - 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- onion - 2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- ginger - thumb-sized piece fresh root ginger, peeled and cut into thin shreds
- cardamom-pod - 10 green cardamom pods
- cinnamon-stick - 1 cinnamon stick
- cumin-seed - 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- coriander-seed - 1/2 tsp coriander seed, lightly crushed
- black-onion - 1/4 tsp black onion seeds (Nigella or Kalonji are good)
- ground-turmeric - 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- bramley-apple - 2 Bramley apples, about 500g/1lb 2oz, peeled, cored and chopped
- red-chilli - 1 large red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- white-wine-vinegar - 375ml white wine vinegar
- golden-caster-sugar - 400g golden caster sugar
- salt - 1 tsp salt
- Cut each mango in half down the sides of the flat stone that runs through the centre of the fruit, so that you end up with 2 fleshy halves. Now take each mango half and cut into the flesh, making quite chunky diagonal pieces - take care not to cut through the skin. Turn each half inside out, then slice away the chunks of mango that stand proud from the skin. Cut the flesh from around the stones, trim off the skin and chop the flesh.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep saute pan, add the onion and fry for a few mins until starting to soften. Stir in the ginger and cook, stirring frequently, for about 8-10 mins until the onion is golden. Stir in all of the spices, except the turmeric, and fry until toasted.
- Stir in the turmeric, add the apple and pour in 500ml water, then cover the pan and cook for 10 mins. Stir in the mango and chilli, then cover and cook for 20 mins more until the apple is pulpy and the mango is tender.
- Pour in the vinegar, stir in the sugar and salt, then leave to simmer uncovered for 30 mins, stirring frequently (especially towards the end of the cooking time so that it doesn't stick) until the mixture is pulpy rather than watery. Spoon into sterilised jars.
Chutney recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has mango, sunflower oil, onion, ginger, cardamom pod, cinnamon stick, cumin seed, coriander seed, black onion, ground turmeric, bramley apple, red chilli, white wine vinegar, golden caster sugar and salt.Add to Favourites