- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 649
- Fat Content: 36g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16g
- Carbohydrate Content: 69g
- Sugar Content: 0g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 17g
- Sodium Content: 0.78g
Fresh Savoy, red onion & egg pie
- olive-oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- new-potato - 450g new potato, diced
- red-onion - 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- savoy-cabbage - 450g Savoy cabbage, shredded
- garlic-clove - 1 garlic clove, crushed
- cumin-seed - 1 tsp cumin seeds
- chilli - 1 dried chilli, crushed
- shortcrust-pastry - 1 quantity shortcrust pastry (see 'Goes well with' below) made with 2 tbsp lightly crushed cumin seeds
- egg - 4 medium eggs
- milk - 1 tbsp milk, to glaze
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan, then gently cook the potatoes and onion for about 10 mins until golden and tender. (You may need to do this in two batches.) Season, then set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Add half the cabbage, garlic, cumin seeds, chilli, seasoning and 1 tbsp water, then cook for 3-4 mins until the cabbage is wilted and tender. Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Roll out half the pastry and use to line a 20cm pie plate. Place the potatoes and onions in the bottom, then top with the cabbage mixture. Make 4 wells in the cabbage and crack an egg into each.
- Brush the pastry border with water. Roll out remaining pastry, then use to cover the pie, trimming the edges and pinching together to seal. Brush the pastry with milk. Make a hole in the centre to allow steam to escape. Place on a baking sheet and cook for 25-35 mins until crisp and golden.
Vegetarian Christmas recipe for 4 people, takes only 55 mins; recipe has olive oil, new potato, red onion, savoy cabbage, garlic clove, cumin seed, chilli, shortcrust pastry, egg and milk.