- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 722
- Carbohydrate Content: 94g
- Fat Content: 35g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 9g
- Saturated Fat Content: 14g
- Sodium Content: 1.22g
- Sugar Content: 75g
Fruit & nut Christmas pudding loaf
- fruit - 400g dried mixed fruit
- glace-cherry - 85g glace cherry
- apple - 1 Bramley apple, about 175g, grated, plus zest 1 orange and 1 lemon
- apple-juice - 150ml good apple juice
- brandy - 2 tbsp brandy
- cointreau - 2 tbsp Cointreau (or use more brandy)
- butter - 140g butter, plus extra for greasing
- muscovado-sugar - 100g dark muscovado sugar
- egg - 2 large eggs, beaten
- self-raising-flour - 85g self-raising flour
- breadcrumb - 100g white breadcrumbs
- golden-syrup - 2 tbsp golden syrup
- mixed-spice - 2 tsp mixed spice
- cinnamon - 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- salt - 1/2 tsp salt
- hazelnut - 25g toasted hazelnut, pecan nuts and blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- butter - 50g butter
- muscovado-sugar - 50g dark muscovado sugar
- golden-syrup - 1 tbsp golden syrup
- brandy - 1 tbsp brandy
- glace-cherry - 25g each toasted hazelnuts, pecan nuts, blanched almonds and glace cherry, left whole
- icing-sugar - icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Put the dried fruit, cherries, apple, zests, apple juice, brandy and Cointreau in a large bowl. Microwave on High for 1 min, then leave to soak overnight.
- Butter and line a 2lb loaf tin with a strip of non-stick baking paper. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the kettle on to boil and have a roasting tin, plus a sheet of buttered foil, ready.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until it turns a little paler, then stir in the eggs, flour, breadcrumbs, syrup, spices, salt, soaked fruit and the nuts. Spoon into the loaf tin and smooth the top. Scrunch the foil loosely over the tin, twisting corners to tighten it around the tin's edges. Sit it in the roasting tin, then pour in a few cms of boiling water. Carefully transfer to the oven and bake for 40 mins.
- After 40 mins, turn down the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3 and cook for another 1 1/2 hrs, topping up the water level every now and again.
- To reheat the pudding, either return it to a medium oven for 30 mins in its tin, or turn out onto a serving plate, cover loosely with cling film and microwave for 5 mins on Medium. For the topping, gently heat the butter, sugar and syrup together until the sugar dissolves, stir in the brandy, then tip in the nuts and fruit. Spoon over the hot pudding and dust with a little icing sugar, if you like.
Christmas pudding recipe for 8 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has fruit, glacé cherry, apple, apple juice, brandy, cointreau, butter, muscovado sugar, egg, self-raising flour, breadcrumb, golden syrup, mixed spice, cinnamon, salt, hazelnut, butter, muscovado sugar, golden syrup, brandy, glacé cherry and icing sugar.