- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 576
- Fat Content: 25g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10g
- Carbohydrate Content: 79g
- Sugar Content: 65g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 9g
- Sodium Content: 0.5g
Fruity simnel squares
- dried-fruit - 250g mixed dried fruit
- dried-apricot - 100g dried apricot, chopped
- glace-cherry - 85g glace cherry, chopped
- orange - zest 2 oranges, juice 1 orange (use the second in the topping)
- butter - 200g butter, softened, plus extra for the tin
- light-muscovado-sugar - 200g light muscovado sugar
- large-egg - 4 large eggs
- self-raising-flour - 200g self-raising flour
- ground-almond - 50g ground almond
- mixed-spice - 2 tsp mixed spice
- ground-cinnamon - 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- nutmeg - 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- marzipan - 500g marzipan, 200g/7oz cut into 2cm chunks, the rest for the topping
- butter - 50g butter
- light-muscovado-sugar - 50g light muscovado sugar
- plain-flour - 100g plain flour
- flaked-almond - 100g flaked almond
- golden-syrup - 3 tbsp golden syrup
- icing-sugar - 85g icing sugar, sieved
- orange-juice - 2-3 tsp orange juice
- Soak all the dried fruit in the orange juice for 2 hrs, or overnight.
- Butter and line a 20 x 30cm tin with baking parchment. Heat oven to 160C/ 140C fan/gas 3. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time; mix well between each addition.
- Sift the flour into the bowl and mix in the ground almonds and spices. Add the marzipan chunks, zest and dried fruit with any remaining juice, and give everything a good stir to combine.
- Tip the cake mix into the prepared tin, level the surface, and bake for 45 mins - the cake may still be a little gooey in the centre at this point. Remove from the oven and increase the heat to 200C/ 180C fan/gas 6.
- Make the topping. Rub the butter, sugar and flour together with your fingers to a crumbly breadcrumb texture. Grate in 200g reserved marzipan, add the flaked almonds and golden syrup. Mix everything with a fork, making sure it stays crumbly and doesn't clump. Sprinkle over the cake and return to the oven for 12-15 mins. Meanwhile, divide the rest of the marzipan into 11 and roll into balls.
- Remove the cake from the oven once cooked through, arrange the marzipan balls on top and allow to cool in the tin. Mix the icing sugar with enough orange juice to give a runny icing, drizzle it all over the cake, then let it set a little before slicing it.
Retro cake recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has dried fruit, dried apricot, glacé cherry, orange, butter, light muscovado sugar, large egg, self-raising flour, ground almond, mixed spice, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, marzipan, butter, light muscovado sugar, plain flour, flaked almond, golden syrup, icing sugar and orange juice.