- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 214
- Fat Content: 4g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Carbohydrate Content: 40g
- Sugar Content: 30g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 0.34g
Fruity sponge cake
- butter - butter or oil, for greasing
- plain-flour - 50g plain flour
- cornflour - 3 tbsp cornflour
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- egg - 4 eggs, separated
- caster-sugar - 175g caster sugar
- mandarin-segment - 295g can mandarin segment, drained
- fromage-frais - 200g tub low-fat fromage frais
- icing-sugar - icing sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Grease then line the base and sides of 2 x 20cm sandwich tins with greaseproof paper. Sieve the flours and baking powder together.
- Use electric hand beaters to whisk the egg whites until stiff, then briefly whisk in the sugar. Beat the egg yolks quickly, then whisk into the whites. Fold in the dry ingredients using a large metal spoon, then spoon the mixture into the tins and level the tops. Bake for 18-20 mins until risen, light golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool in the tins for 10 mins, then gently remove and leave to cool completely.
- Mix the mandarins and fromage frais together. Peel away the greaseproof paper, sandwich the cakes with the mandarin mix, then dust with the icing sugar to serve. Best eaten on the day it's made.
Healthy treat recipe for 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has butter, plain flour, cornflour, baking powder, egg, caster sugar, mandarin segment, fromage frais and icing sugar.