- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 448
- Carbohydrate Content: 42g
- Fat Content: 23g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 18g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 1.8g
- Sugar Content: 3g
Full English potato cake
- potato - 1 1/2 kg potato, diced into 1cm chunks
- olive-oil - 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- spring-onion - 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- thyme - 2 thyme sprigs, leaves stripped, plus 1 sprig left whole
- butter - 25g butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- streaky-bacon - 12 rashers streaky bacon
- plum-tomato - 3 large plum tomatoes, halved
- black-pepper - cracked black pepper
- medium-egg - 6 medium eggs
- toast - buttered toast, to serve
- orange-juice - brown and tomato sauce, tea and orange juice, to serve (optional)
- Bring a big saucepan of salted water to the boil. Tip in the potatoes and simmer until almost tender, about 20 mins. Drain really well and steam dry for a few mins. Return to the pan and toss with 2 tbsp of the oil, the spring onions, thyme leaves and lots of seasoning.
- Grease your largest baking tray with some melted butter and press the potatoes into it. Put a baking sheet on top and gently press down to squash the spuds into a cake. Cover and chill until ready for breakfast.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Drizzle the melted butter and remaining oil over the potato cake and bake for 30 mins until golden.
- Add the bacon in a few piles and bake for another 15 mins. Dot over the tomato halves and the remaining thyme sprig, sprinkle with plenty of pepper, then crack the eggs among the gaps and bake for 5-8 mins, depending how you like your eggs.
- To serve, cut the potato cake into portions and pile onto 6 plates, along with the eggs, bacon, tomatoes and some buttered toast. Serve with brown and tomato sauce, tea and orange juice, if you like.
Hangover recipe for 6 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has potato, olive oil, spring onion, thyme, butter, streaky bacon, plum tomato, black pepper, medium egg, toast and orange juice.Add to Favourites