- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 201
- Fat Content: 14g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 11g
- Sugar Content: 6g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 0.6g
Full English tasting plate
- pancetta - 6 thin rashers pancetta
- butter - 25g butter, plus extra for frying
- white-bread - 3 slices white bread, crusts removed, diced
- wild-mushroom - 200g whole wild mushroom or sliced chestnut mushrooms
- egg-yolk - 6 egg yolks (keep them separate)
- tomato - 1kg vine-ripened tomato
- olive-oil - 1 tbsp olive oil
- shallot - 3 shallots, chopped
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- thyme - 2 thyme sprigs, leaves removed
- bay-leaf - 2 bay leaves
- tomato-puree - 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Lay the pancetta on a baking sheet and stack another baking sheet on top. Cook in the oven for 15 mins until crisp, then remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- To make the tomato fondue, put the tomatoes in boiling water, in batches, for 8 seconds, then quickly transfer to a bowl of ice-cold water. Peel off the skins, then quarter and deseed. Cut a couple of the tomatoes into 0.5cm squares and reserve for later.
- Put the oil in a medium-sized pan. Add the shallots, garlic and thyme, and cook for 5 mins until soft. Add the bay leaves and tomato puree, and cook for a few mins more. Finally, add the tomatoes and cook everything for 15 mins until slightly dry. Discard the bay leaves, then place the tomato mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. Sieve, season and keep warm. You can make and chill this up to two days ahead.
- Add the butter to a frying pan and heat until foaming. Fry the bread until golden all over, remove and drain on kitchen paper. Add the mushrooms to the same pan and fry for 2 mins until softened, adding an extra knob of butter if the pan is too dry.
- Carefully place the egg yolks, one at a time, into a pan of simmering water. Cook for 1 min, then very carefully lift out and drain on kitchen paper.
- To plate up, spoon the tomato fondue onto each of 6 plates and scatter with the mushrooms. Carefully top each with an egg yolk, then sprinkle with the croutons and reserved tomatoes. Finish with a slice of pancetta and season.
Christmas brunch recipe for 6 people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has pancetta, butter, white bread, wild mushroom, egg yolk, tomato, olive oil, shallot, garlic clove, thyme, bay leaf and tomato purée.