- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 564
- Fat Content: 37g
- Saturated Fat Content: 16g
- Carbohydrate Content: 33g
- Sugar Content: 4g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 26g
- Sodium Content: 2.66g
Garland sausage roll slice
- quail-egg - 18 quail eggs
- sausage - 650g Cumberland sausages, split and squeezed
- onion - 1 small onion, grated
- apple - 1 Bramley apple, peeled and grated
- flat-leaf-parsley - small bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves chopped
- tabasco-sauce - shake of Tabasco sauce
- ham - 1cm thick slice of ham, cut into small chunks
- breadcrumb - 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- puff-pastry - 500g pack all-butter puff pastry
- egg - 1 egg, beaten
- wholegrain-mustard - wholegrain mustard, to serve
- Boil eggs for 2 1/2 mins, then cool slightly before peeling and trimming each end.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. In a bowl, mix together the sausagemeat grated onion, apple, parsley, Tabasco, ham and breadcrumbs. Roll the pastry out to a rectangle about 25 x 35cm, carefully lift onto a baking sheet and brush all over with beaten egg.
- Press two-thirds of the sausage mix along one of the long sides of the pastry, leaving 2cm pastry free on one side for sealing, and half of the pastry empty on the other side for folding over later. Press a line down the middle of the meat with your finger, then lay the eggs along it, trimmed end to trimmed end. Press over the rest of the sausagemeat. Fold the pastry over the sausage and press the edges together, before trimming with a knife and sealing well by pressing the edges with a fork.
- Brush all over with more egg and bake for 40 mins until golden. Leave to cool, then slice and serve with mustard. Can be made 1 day ahead.
Buffet recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has quail egg, sausage, onion, apple, flat-leaf parsley, tabasco sauce, ham, breadcrumb, puff pastry, egg and wholegrain mustard.