- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 822
- Fat Content: 49g
- Saturated Fat Content: 29g
- Carbohydrate Content: 85g
- Sugar Content: 64g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 10g
- Sodium Content: 0.8g
Giant jaffa orange cake
- butter - 250g pack butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- golden-caster-sugar - 300g golden caster sugar
- large-egg - 4 large eggs
- natural-yogurt - 100g full-fat natural yogurt
- plain-flour - 300g plain flour
- baking-powder - 2 tsp baking powder
- orange - zest 4 large orange (use the oranges below)
- orange - juice 5 large oranges (about 500ml), save the zest of 1 orange to finish
- golden-caster-sugar - 100g golden caster sugar
- gelatine-leaf - 6 gelatine leaves
- double-cream - 300ml pot double cream
- milk-chocolate - 200g milk chocolate, finely chopped
- dark-chocolate - 100g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- apricot-jam - 2 tbsp apricot jam
- orange - zest 1 orange
- First make the jelly. Grease a 20cm round cake tin and line with cling film (you can use the 23cm tin that you will bake the cake in, but you'll have to make this the day before so that you can remove it before making the cake). Remove the zest from 4 of the oranges and set aside for the cake. Tip the orange juice and sugar into a saucepan and gently heat to dissolve the sugar. Meanwhile, soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for a few mins until soft. Remove the gelatine from the water, squeeze out any excess and add to the warm orange juice, stir until the gelatine has dissolved. Pour the liquid into the lined cake tin and chill for at least 4 hrs or preferably overnight.
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3 and line a 23cm round cake tin with baking parchment. Tip all the cake ingredients into a large mixing bowl and combine with an electric hand whisk until smooth. Spoon into the tin and smooth over the surface. Bake in the centre of the oven for 55 mins, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 15 mins, then invert onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Now make the ganache. Heat the cream in a small pan until hot. Put the chocolate in a small bowl and pour over the cream, leave for 10 mins, then mix well - you should be left with a smooth chocolate sauce. Leave at room temperature until the ganache cools and thickens a little (you can put it in the fridge to speed this up, but keep an eye on it, as it will set quickly).
- To assemble the cake, place it on a cake stand and trim the top to give you a flat surface. Warm the apricot jam in the microwave until a little runny. Paint it over the top of the cake, then flip the orange jelly out of its tin, and position on top. Using a palette knife, swirl the chocolate ganache over the orange jelly, letting it dribble down the sides of the cake a little. Serve straight away or within 24 hours.
Cake sale recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 5 mins; recipe has butter, golden caster sugar, large egg, natural yogurt, plain flour, baking powder, orange, orange, golden caster sugar, gelatine leaf, double cream, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, apricot jam and orange.