- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 470
- Fat Content: 28g
- Saturated Fat Content: 17g
- Carbohydrate Content: 53g
- Sugar Content: 39g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 1.07g
Ginger & caramel apple puddings
- butter - 50g butter, plus extra for the ramekins
- cooking-apple - 1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- muscovado-sugar - 75g light brown muscovado sugar
- butter - 140g butter, softened
- muscovado-sugar - 100g light brown muscovado sugar
- egg - 1 egg
- buttermilk - 125ml buttermilk
- stem-ginger - 2 balls preserved stem ginger, finely chopped, plus 1 tbsp syrup from jar
- plain-flour - 100g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- ground-ginger - 1 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
- baking-powder - 1/2 tsp baking powder
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- icing-sugar - icing sugar, for dusting
- cream - cream or custard, to serve
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Lightly butter and flour 6 x 8cm deep ramekins, tapping out excess flour. Heat the butter in a pan until foaming, add the apple and cook for 1 min on a medium heat. Toss in the sugar and cook until dissolved. Divide between the ramekins.
- For the puddings, beat the butter and sugar together with an electric whisk until fully combined. In a separate bowl, mix together the egg, buttermilk, chopped ginger and ginger syrup, then stir this into the butter mixture. Fold in the flour, ground ginger, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt. Divide between the ramekins so they are filled to 1cm below the top. Place them on a baking tray and bake for 20 mins, until golden and risen.
- Serve warm, dusted with icing sugar. Accompany with cream or custard.
Caramel recipe for 6 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has butter, cooking apple, muscovado sugar, butter, muscovado sugar, egg, buttermilk, stem ginger, plain flour, ground ginger, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, icing sugar and cream.