- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 10 - 12
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 600
- Fat Content: 18g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 107g
- Sugar Content: 43g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 0.33g
Gingered rich fruit cake
- oil - oil, for greasing
- currant - 100g each dried currant, sultanas and raisins
- fig - 225g each semi-dried fig and prunes, roughly chopped
- ginger - 200g tub crystallised ginger
- stem-ginger - 100g stem ginger, from a jar, chopped
- stem-ginger-syrup - 2 tbsp stem ginger syrup
- cointreau - 4 tbsp Cointreau
- ginger - 1 tsp each ground ginger and mixed spice
- lemon - zest 2 lemons
- olive-oil - 150ml olive oil
- light-muscovado-sugar - 175g light muscovado sugar
- egg - 4 eggs
- flour - 225g gluten-free flour
- baking-powder - 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- apricot-jam - 4 tbsp apricot jam
- cointreau - 1 tbsp Cointreau
- date - 450g mixed fruit, including figs, prunes, date and apricots
- Heat oven to 140C/fan 120C/gas 1. Lightly oil a 71/2cm deep, 25cm round cake tin, and line it with a double layer of baking parchment.
- Mix the dried fruits, ginger and syrup, Cointreau, spices and lemon zest. Put the olive oil, sugar and eggs in a bowl, whisk together until light and fluffy. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture and tip in the fruit. Fold and stir together well.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin. Bake in the centre of the oven for 2-21/2 hrs, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cover with foil if the cake begins to over-brown. Take from the oven and leave to cool in the tin. Remove, leaving the baking parchment in place until you decorate.
- For the topping: warm the jam and Cointreau together until the jam is liquid, allow to cool. Arrange the fruit on the cake and brush with the jam.
Fruitcake recipe for 10 – 12 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has oil, currant, fig, ginger, stem ginger, stem ginger syrup, cointreau, ginger, lemon, olive oil, light muscovado sugar, egg, flour, baking powder, apricot jam, cointreau and date.