- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 2
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 1040
- Fat Content: 43g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 120g
- Sugar Content: 3g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 49g
- Sodium Content: 1.16g
Golden beer-battered fish with chips
- plain-flour - 50g plain flour
- cornflour - 50g cornflour
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- turmeric - turmeric
- beer - 75ml lager beer
- sparkling-water - 75ml sparkling water
- sunflower-oil - about 1 litre sunflower oil, for frying
- haddock - 400g fillet sustainable cod, hake or haddock, halved
- potato - 750g potatoes, Maris Piper or Desiree, peeled and sliced into thick chips
- plain-flour - 2 tbsp plain flour
- sunflower-oil - 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- Combine the flour, cornflour, baking powder and turmeric in a large bowl, season, then spoon 1 tbsp onto a plate and set aside. Gradually pour the beer and water into the bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon until you have a smooth, lump-free batter. Leave to rest for 30 mins while you prepare the chips.
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Boil a large pan of water, then add the chipped potatoes and boil for 2-3 mins until the outsides are just tender but not soft. drain well, then tip onto a large baking tray with the flour, oil and some salt. Gently toss together until all the potatoes are evenly coated and the flour is no longer dusty. Roast for 30 mins, turning occasionally, until the chips are golden and crisp.
- To cook the fish, heat the 1 litre oil in a deep saucepan until a drop of batter sizzles and crisps up straight away. Pat the fish dry with kitchen paper, then toss it in the reserved turmeric flour mix. Shake off any excess, then dip into the batter. Carefully lower each fillet into the hot oil and fry for 6-8 mins - depending on the thickness of the fish - until golden and crisp. Using a large slotted spoon, lift out the fish, drain on kitchen paper, then sprinkle with salt. Serve with the hot chips and Homemade tomato sauce (see 'goes well with').
Takeaway favourite recipe for 2 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has plain flour, cornflour, baking powder, turmeric, beer, sparkling water, sunflower oil, haddock, potato, plain flour and sunflower oil.