- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serving: 10
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 449
- Fat Content: 13g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Carbohydrate Content: 68g
- Sugar Content: 9g
- Fiber Content: 10g
- Protein Content: 19g
- Sodium Content: 0.59g
Golden veggie shepherd’s pie
- butter - 50g butter
- onion - 2 onions, chopped
- carrot - 4 carrots, diced
- celery - 1 head of celery, chopped
- garlic-clove - 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- chestnut-mushroom - 200g pack chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- bay-leaf - 2 bay leaves
- thyme - 1 tbsp dried thyme
- lentil - 500g pack dried green lentils (we used Merchant Gourmet Puy lentils)
- red-wine - 100ml red wine (optional)
- vegetable-stock - 1.7l vegetable stock
- tomato-puree - 3 tbsp tomato puree
- potato - 2kg floury potato, such as King Edwards
- butter - 85g butter
- milk - 100ml milk
- cheddar - 50g cheddar, grated
- To make the sauce, heat 50g butter in a pan, then gently fry 2 chopped onions, 4 diced carrots, 1 chopped head of celery and 4 finely chopped garlic cloves for 15 mins until soft and golden.
- Turn up the heat, add 200g sliced chestnut mushrooms, then cook for 4 mins more.
- Stir in 2 bay leaves and 1 tbsp dried thyme, then add 500g green lentils. Pour over 100ml red wine and 1.7l vegetable stock - it's important that you do not season with salt at this stage.
- Simmer for 40-50 mins until the lentils are very soft.
- Season to taste, take off heat, then stir in 3 tbsp tomato puree.
- While the lentils are cooking, tip 2kg floury potatoes into a pan of water, then boil for about 15 mins until tender. Drain well, mash with 85g butter and 100ml milk, then season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the pies, divide the lentil mixture between all the dishes that you are using, then top with mash.
- Scatter over 50g grated cheddar and freeze for up to two months or if eating that day, heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5, then bake for 30 mins until the topping is golden.
Freezable recipe for 10 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has butter, onion, carrot, celery, garlic clove, chestnut mushroom, bay leaf, thyme, lentil, red wine, vegetable stock, tomato purée, potato, butter, milk and cheddar.