- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 800
- Fat Content: 55g
- Saturated Fat Content: 18g
- Carbohydrate Content: 4g
- Sugar Content: 4g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 72g
- Sodium Content: 1.7g
Gordon’s Christmas roast goose
- goose - 4-5 1/2 kg fresh goose
- lemon - 4 lemons
- lime - 3 limes
- chinese-five-spice-powder - 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- parsley - small handful each of parsley sprigs, thyme and sage, plus extra for garnishing
- olive-oil - a little olive oil, for browning, optional
- clear-honey - 3 tbsp clear honey
- thyme-leaf - 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- Calculate the cooking time: cook for 10 mins at 240C/fan 220C/gas 9, then reduce to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5 and cook for 20 mins per kg for medium-rare, 32 mins per kg for more well done, plus 30 mins resting.
- If the goose is ready-trussed, then loosen the string and pull out the legs and wings a little - this helps the bird cook better.
- Check the inside of the bird and remove any giblets or pads of fat. Using the tip of a sharp knife, lightly score the breast and leg skin in a criss-cross. This helps the fat to render down more quickly during roasting.
- Grate the zest from 4 lemons and 3 limes. Mix with 2 tsp fine sea salt, 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder and pepper, to taste.
- Season the cavity of the goose generously with salt, then rub the citrus mix well into the skin and sprinkle some inside the cavity.
- Stuff the zested fruit and a small handful of parsley, thyme and sage sprigs inside the bird and set aside for at least 15 mins.Can be done up to a day ahead and kept refrigerated.
- Heat oven to 240C/fan 220C/gas 9.
- If you want to give the bird a nice golden skin, brown in a largefrying pan(or a heavy-basedroasting tin), using a couple of tbsp olive oil. Holding the bird by the legs (you may like to use an oven glove), press it down on the breasts to brown.
- Once browned, place the bird in the roasting tin. Drizzle with 3 tbsp clear honey and sprinkle with 1 tbsp thyme leaves.
- Roast for the calculated time, turning the heat down after 10 mins to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Cover the goose with foil if it is starting to brown too much.
- Every 30 mins or so, baste the bird with the pan juices, then pour off the fat through a sieve into a large heatproof bowl. You will end up with at least a litre of luscious fat - save this for the potatoes and other veg.
- At the end of the cooking time, leave to rest for at least 30 mins, covered loosely with foil. The bird will not go cold, but will be moist and much easier to carve.
Winter roasts recipe for 6 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has goose, lemon, lime, chinese five-spice powder, parsley, olive oil, clear honey and thyme leaf.