- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 599
- Fat Content: 40g
- Saturated Fat Content: 23g
- Carbohydrate Content: 56g
- Sugar Content: 38g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 6g
- Sodium Content: 0.35g
Granny’s Victoria sponge
- unsalted-butter - 200g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- caster-sugar - 200g caster sugar
- vanilla-extract - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- medium-egg - 4 medium eggs
- self-raising-flour - 200g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- raspberry - about 6 tbsp raspberry jam
- double-cream - 250ml double cream, whipped
- icing-sugar - icing sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Grease and flour two 20cmsandwich tins.
- Place 200g softened unsalted butter, 200g caster sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract into abowlandbeatwell to a creamy consistency.
- Slowly beat in 4 medium eggs, one by one, then fold in 200g self-raising flour and mix well.
- Divide the mix between the cake tins, place into the oven and bake for about 20 mins until risen and golden brown. The cakes should spring back when gently pushed in the middle.
- When ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 mins in the tin, before turning out onto awire rackand cooling completely.
- Spreadabout 6 tbsp raspberry jam onto one cake and top with 250ml whipped double cream. Sandwich the cakes together and dust with icing sugar.
Retro cake recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has unsalted butter, caster sugar, vanilla extract, medium egg, self-raising flour, raspberry, double cream and icing sugar.