- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 227
- Fat Content: 15g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 7g
- Sugar Content: 6g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 14g
- Sodium Content: 1.2g
Gravadlax with celeriac & fennel salad
- gravadlax - 350-400g gravadlax or smoked salmon
- wholegrain-mustard - 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- honey - 1 1/2 tsp honey
- garlic-cloves - 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- cider-vinegar - 5 tsp cider vinegar
- extra-virgin-olive-oil - 7 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (a fruity one, not a bitter Tuscan one)
- single-cream - 2 tbsp single cream
- lemon - juice 1 lemon (you may not need it at all)
- celeriac - 300g celeriac
- fennel-bulb - 1 large fennel bulb
- red-onion - 1/4 red onion
- red-apple - 1 small red apple
- apple - 1 small green apple
- dill - 15g bunch dill, leaves only, roughly chopped
- Make the dressing first. Put the mustard, honey, garlic, vinegar and some seasoning in a cup, and whisk in the oil in a steady stream. Stir in the cream, then check the seasoning - it should be sweet-sour.
- Put some of the lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Peel the celeriac and cut the flesh into matchsticks, tossing these in the lemon juice as you go to stop the flesh discolouring.
- Quarter the fennel and remove any coarse outer leaves. Trim the tips, reserving any tufty fronds. Cut out the core from each piece. Using a very sharp knife or a mandolin, slice the fennel lengthways - the slices should be almost transparent. Toss with the celeriac and add some more lemon juice.
- Cut the onion as finely as possible (it's best to do this on a mandolin too). Halve the apples, core and cut into matchsticks (there's no need to peel them). Add to the bowl with the onions, and add a little more lemon juice (to keep the apple from turning brown). Chop any fennel fronds and add along with the dill. Toss with the dressing.
- Divide the salad between eight plates with some gravadlax alongside, or serve the gravadlax and offer the salad in a large bowl.
Easy entertaining recipe for 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has gravadlax, wholegrain mustard, honey, garlic cloves, cider vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, single cream, lemon, celeriac, fennel bulb, red onion, red apple, apple and dill.