- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 513
- Fat Content: 22g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 65g
- Sugar Content: 26g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 11g
- Sodium Content: 1.5g
Grilled aubergine, watermelon & sesame salad
- black-rice - 200g black rice
- aubergines - 2 aubergines, cut into long thin strips
- vegetable-oil - 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- black-sesame-seeds - 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
- chilli-flakes - good pinch chilli flakes
- caster-sugar - 50g caster sugar
- watermelon - 1/2 small watermelon (about 500g) cut into chunks
- white-miso-paste - 2 tbsp white miso paste
- ginger - thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
- lime - 1 lime, juiced
- sesame-oil - 1 tsp sesame oil
- feta - 100g feta, crumbled into large pieces
- Rinse the rice under cold water to get rid of some of the starch, then cook following pack instructions. Drain, then spread out on a baking tray and leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan until searing hot. Toss the aubergine slices in 3 tbsp oil then, working in batches, cook for around 5 mins on each side until tender and charred. Put them in a bowl, then cover with foil so they continue to soften. Set the pan aside (there's no need to wash as you'll use it later).
- Line a baking tray with parchment. Mix the sesame seeds, chilli flakes and a good pinch of sea salt together. Melt the sugar in a smallsaucepanover a low heat - resist the temptation to stir otherwise it will crystallize. Once the sugar is a deep caramel colour, turn off the heat and stir in the sesame mix, then tip onto the parchment. Flatten the brittle out as best you can (be careful as it will be very hot) and leave to cool.
- Whiskthe remaining oil with the miso, ginger, lime juice and sesame oil, then whisk in enough water to loosen the dressing. Season to taste, then set aside.
- Reheat the griddle pan. Lightly salt the watermelon slices and griddle for 30 secs on each side until charred, then set aside.
- To assemble the salad, mix the aubergine and dressing through the rice, then transfer to a large serving bowl. Top with the feta and watermelon, then break the brittle into shards and stand them upright for dramatic effect in the salad.
Vegetarian summer recipe for 4 people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has black rice, aubergines, vegetable oil, black sesame seeds, chilli flakes, caster sugar, watermelon, white miso paste, ginger, lime, sesame oil and feta.Add to Favourites