- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 408
- Fat Content: 21g
- Saturated Fat Content: 13g
- Carbohydrate Content: 52g
- Sugar Content: 37g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 5g
- Sodium Content: 1.33g
Halloween pumpkin cake
- self-raising-flour - 300g self-raising flour
- light-muscovado-sugar - 300g light muscovado sugar
- mixed-spice - 3 tsp mixed spice
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- sultana - 175g sultanas
- salt - 1/2 tsp salt
- egg - 4 eggs, beaten
- butter - 200g butter, melted
- orange - zest 1 orange
- orange-juice - 1 tbsp orange juice
- butternut-squash - 500g (peeled weight) pumpkin or butternut squash flesh, grated
- soft-cheese - 200g pack soft cheese
- butter - 85g butter, softened
- icing-sugar - 100g icing sugar, sifted
- orange - zest 1 orange and juice of half
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Butter and line a 30 x 20cm baking or small roasting tin with baking parchment. Put the flour, sugar, spice, bicarbonate of soda, sultanas and salt into a large bowl and stir to combine. Beat the eggs into the melted butter, stir in the orange zest and juice, then mix with the dry ingredients till combined. Stir in the pumpkin. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 30 mins, or until golden and springy to the touch.
- To make the frosting, beat together the cheese, butter, icing sugar, orange zest and 1 tsp of the juice till smooth and creamy, then set aside in the fridge. When the cake is done, cool for 5 mins then turn it onto a cooling rack. Prick it all over with a skewer and drizzle with the rest of the orange juice while still warm. Leave to cool completely.
- If you like, trim the edges of the cake. Give the frosting a quick beat to loosen, then, using a palette knife, spread over the top of the cake in peaks and swirls. If you're making the cake ahead, keep it in the fridge then take out as many pieces as you want 30 mins or so before serving. Will keep, covered, for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Halloween cake recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has self-raising flour, light muscovado sugar, mixed spice, bicarbonate of soda, sultana, salt, egg, butter, orange, orange juice, butternut squash, soft cheese, butter, icing sugar and orange.