- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Serving: 12
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 901
- Fat Content: 57g
- Saturated Fat Content: 32g
- Carbohydrate Content: 97g
- Sugar Content: 76g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 2.35g
Hannah Obee’s Salted caramel chocolate cake
- butter - 115g salted butter, plus extra for greasing
- plain-chocolate - 225g plain chocolate (70% cocoa)
- milk - 150ml milk
- muscovado-sugar - 225g light muscovado sugar
- vanilla-extract - 2 tsp vanilla extract
- egg - 2 large eggs, separated
- creme-fraiche - 150ml creme fraiche
- self-raising-flour - 225g self-raising flour
- baking-powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- caster-sugar - 450g caster sugar
- golden-syrup - 2 tbsp golden syrup
- butter - 115g salted butter
- double-cream - 125ml double cream
- creme-fraiche - 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- sea-salt - 2 tsp flaky sea salt (we used Maldon)
- plain-chocolate - 225g plain chocolate (70-80% cocoa solids)
- double-cream - 250ml double cream
- sea-salt - a pinch of flaky sea salt, to decorate (optional)
- chocolate - chocolate truffles, to decorate
- First, make the caramel. Pour 100ml water into a large saucepan. Add the sugar and golden syrup, gently cook until melted, then turn up the heat a bit and cook until the caramel is a dark golden brown colour. Swirl the pan occasionally to prevent sticking but do not stir. Turn off the heat and carefully whisk in the butter, double cream and creme fraiche - it will bubble up quite high. Add the sea salt. Whisk until smooth, then leave to cool until slightly set. You can make this up to 3 days in advance and chill in the fridge - just gently reheat until soft enough to spread before assembling the cake.
- Now make the cake. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease a 23cm springform cake tin and line the base with baking parchment. Melt the chocolate, butter and milk in a large pan over a low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat, then beat in the sugar and vanilla. Cool slightly. Beat the egg yolks and creme fraiche together, then mix this into the chocolate mixture, followed by the flour and baking powder. Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff peaks form. Stir a third of the egg whites into the cake mix, then gently fold in the rest. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 40-50 mins until firm to touch. Leave to cool for 20 mins, then remove from the tin and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- For the ganache, heat the chocolate and cream together over a low heat until the chocolate has melted. Pour into a bowl to cool.
- To assemble, slice the cooled cake in half horizontally. Sandwich together with some of your caramel - you may not need it all, but be generous in order to balance the bittersweet ganache topping. Spread the ganache over the top of the cake and sprinkle with some sea salt crystals and chocolate truffles, if you like.
Birthday cake recipe for 12 people, takes only 55 mins; recipe has butter, plain chocolate, milk, muscovado sugar, vanilla extract, egg, crème fraîche, self-raising flour, baking powder, caster sugar, golden syrup, butter, double cream, crème fraîche, sea salt, plain chocolate, double cream, sea salt and chocolate.