- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 356
- Fat Content: 17g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 35g
- Sugar Content: 2g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 15g
- Sodium Content: 0.9g
Hash browns with gruyère & pancetta
- king-edward-potato - 800g Maris Piper or King Edward potatoes
- olive-oil - 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- onion - 1 small onion, finely diced
- garlic-clove - 2 garlic cloves
- pancetta - 75g pancetta, diced
- gruyere - 50g gruyere, grated
- parsley - small pack parsley, chopped
- egg - 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- cherry-tomato - roasted cherry tomatoes and mushrooms, to serve (optional)
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into large chunks and put them in a saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins until just cooked (do not overcook or the potatoes will absorb too much water).
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 tbsp of the olive oil in a small pan. Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt, then cover and cook over a low heat for 15-20 mins until the onion is soft and starting to caramelise. If the onion starts to catch, add a splash of cold water. Remove the onion and garlic, then fry the pancetta in the same pan until the fat has melted and the pancetta is crisp.
- Drain the potatoes and allow to steam-dry. Once cool enough to handle, chop the potatoes into 1cm dice and mix in a bowl with the pancetta, gruyere, parsley, beaten eggs, onion and garlic. Season generously with black pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Gently tip in the potato mixture and press down with the back of a large spoon. Fry over a medium heat for 15 mins until the bottom is golden brown. Tip the hash brown onto a plate, then slide back into the pan, cooked-side up. Cook for another 15 mins until golden and hot. Serve with roasted tomatoes and mushrooms, if you like.
Gluten-free breakfast recipe for 4 people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has king edward potato, olive oil, onion, garlic clove, pancetta, gruyère, parsley, egg and cherry tomato.