- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 629
- Fat Content: 36g
- Saturated Fat Content: 17g
- Carbohydrate Content: 27g
- Sugar Content: 11g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 35g
- Sodium Content: 1g
Herby slow-roast chicken
- garlic - 2 small garlic bulbs, cloves separated but not peeled
- rosemary - 1 large bunch rosemary
- lemon-thyme - 1 large bunch lemon thyme
- sage - 1 large bunch sage
- bay-leaf - 1 large bunch bay leaves
- lemon - 2 small lemons, zested
- olive-oil - 4 tbsp olive oil
- chicken - 1 medium chicken - the best quality you can afford
- carrot - 400g carrot, halved
- new-potato - 500g baby new potato, halved
- red-onion - 2 medium red onions, cut into wedges
- butter - 100g butter, softened
- white-wine - 150ml white wine
- Roughly bash the garlic cloves and herbs (a rolling pin or meat mallet is good for this), then put in a large food bag or dish with the lemon zest, oil and chicken. Rub everything into the chicken, inside and out. Leave to marinate overnight.
- Heat oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 1. Remove the chicken from the fridge 30 mins before you want to cook it. Put the vegetables in a large roasting tin and top with the chicken. Scatter the herbs and garlic from the marinade over, around and inside the bird. Push the 2 lemons inside the chicken too, halving to fit if necessary. Rub the butter all over the skin and season generously.
- Pour the wine into the tin with 150ml water, cover tightly with a tent of foil (so it doesn't touch the top of the bird) and cook for 2 hrs. Remove the foil and continue cooking for 1 hr more, or until the chicken is cooked and the juices run clear. Increase oven to 220C/200C fan/ gas 7 and roast for 25-30 mins more until the skin is really crisp. Lift the chicken from the tin to rest on a plate for 30 mins, covered again with the foil.
- Meanwhile, put the roasting tin on the hob and bubble to reduce the cooking juices a little. Add any juices from the rested chicken and season to taste. Serve the bird in the middle of the table to share, alongside the buttery veg.
Roasts recipe for 6 people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has garlic, rosemary, lemon thyme, sage, bay leaf, lemon, olive oil, chicken, carrot, new potato, red onion, butter and white wine.