- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 766
- Fat Content: 38g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10g
- Carbohydrate Content: 74g
- Sugar Content: 10g
- Fiber Content: 10g
- Protein Content: 15g
- Sodium Content: 0.9g
Homemade tortilla chips with guacamole & charred tomato salsa
- tortilla - 12 corn tortillas
- vegetable-oil - 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- avocado - 3 large ripe avocados
- lime - juice 2 limes
- red-onion - 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- coriander - small handful coriander, chopped
- green-chilli - 2 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- chipotle-paste - 2 tsp chipotle paste or 1/2 tsp Chipotle Tabasco
- plum-tomato - 6 plum tomatoes, halved
- jalapeno-chilli - 2 green or jalapeno chillies
- garlic-clove - 8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- red-onion - 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- coriander - 2 tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
- lime - juice 1 lime
- chipotle-paste - 1 tbsp chipotle paste or Chipotle Tabasco
- To make the tortillas, heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Brush both sides of the tortillas with the oil, then cut into triangles with scissors. Arrange in a single layer on 1 or 2 baking sheets and bake for 7-8 mins. Remove, sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- To make the guacamole, halve and stone the avocados, then spoon the flesh into a bowl. Pour over the lime juice and a sprinkle of salt, then crush with a potato masher until pureed but still chunky. Add onion, coriander, chillies and chipotle paste. Stir through and set aside until needed.
- For the salsa, place the tomatoes, cut-side up, in a shallow baking tray. Season, and place under the grill until blackened, about 15 mins. Meanwhile, in a dry non-stick frying pan, blacken the chillies and garlic. Keep turning to darken on all sides, about 10 mins. When done, peel the garlic and place in a food processor. Place the chillies in a plastic bag to steam for a few mins, then peel, deseed and stem. Add the flesh to the food processor along with the tomatoes, onion, coriander, lime juice and chipotle paste. Season and pulse until chunky.
Healthy Mexican recipe for 4 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has tortilla, vegetable oil, avocado, lime, red onion, coriander, green chilli, chipotle paste, plum tomato, jalapeno chilli, garlic clove, red onion, coriander, lime and chipotle paste.