- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 503
- Fat Content: 30g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8g
- Carbohydrate Content: 18g
- Sugar Content: 18g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 40g
- Sodium Content: 1.4g
Honey-roast confit of duck
- thyme-sprig - 3 thyme sprigs, leaves roughly chopped
- rosemary - 2-3 rosemary sprigs, leaves roughly chopped
- garlic-clove - 2 fat garlic cloves, lightly bashed
- black-peppercorn - 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- duck-leg - 4 duck leg (about 800g)
- duck-fat - 750g duck fat
- bay-leaf - 2 bay leaves
- sunflower-oil - sunflower oil, for covering the duck, if needed
- clear-honey - 4 tbsp clear honey
- Mix together the thyme, rosemary, garlic and peppercorns with 2 tbsp flaky sea salt. Tip half into a large baking dish, top with the duck legs, then sprinkle over the remaining salt and massage well into the duck. Cover with cling film and chill for 24 hrs.
- Heat oven to 140C/120C fan/gas 1. Take the duck legs out of the dish, wipe off the salt mixture with kitchen paper, then set aside.
- Melt the duck fat in a flameproof casserole dish until just bubbling. Add the bay leaves and duck legs, and bring to a gentle simmer. The legs should be completely covered, so top up with olive oil if needed. Transfer the dish to the oven and cook for 2 hrs 30 mins.
- To check whether the duck is cooked, insert a skewer into the thickest part of a leg - it should go in easily. Leave the duck to cool in the fat. Can now be chilled for up to 2 weeks. While the duck cools, make the Puy lentils & pancetta (see Goes well with, right).
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Lift the duck legs from the dish, scrape off the fat and place, skin-side up, in a shallow roasting tin.
- Spoon 1 tbsp honey over each duck leg and roast for 25-30 mins until the skin is browned and sticky. Serve with the Puy lentils & pancetta.
French recipe for 4 people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has thyme sprig, rosemary, garlic clove, black peppercorn, duck leg, duck fat, bay leaf, sunflower oil and clear honey.