- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 12
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 165
- Fat Content: 5g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 27g
- Sugar Content: 9g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 0.8g
Hot cross scones
- self-raising-flour - 225g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- salt - 1/4 tsp salt
- butter - 50g butter, chilled
- dessert-apple - 1 small dessert apple, peeled and cored
- currant - 3 tbsp currants or other dried fruit (chopped if large)
- milk - 50-75 ml milk
- natural-yogurt - 4 tbsp natural yogurt
- egg - 1 egg, beaten (optional)
- laces - pack of strawberry laces or a roll of fruit leather, cut into strips the same diameter as the scone
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Tip the flour and salt into a large bowl. Grate the butter into the bowl, toss the mixture together, then rub the bits of butter into the flour until there are no big lumps left.
- Grate the apple into the bowl, then add the dried fruit, 50ml milk and the yogurt, and combine to make a soft dough. If the dough looks dry, add a little more milk. Don't squeeze it too much and don't worry if it looks a little lumpy. Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut out scones using a 4cm round cutter. Combine any off-cuts and cut out more scones until you have used up all the mixture.
- Put the scones on a baking tray and cut a cross across the top of each (adults may have to help children here). Brush some egg over the top, if using. Bake for 10-12 mins or until the scones are risen and golden brown. While they are still warm, lay strawberry laces into the crosses you have cut in the tops of the scones.
Scone recipe for 12 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has self-raising flour, salt, butter, dessert apple, currant, milk, natural yogurt, egg and laces.