- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 317
- Fat Content: 12g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 32g
- Sugar Content: 5g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 22g
- Sodium Content: 0.44g
Indian-spiced shepherd’s pie
- minced-lamb - 500g pack lean minced lamb
- onion - 1 onion, chopped
- carrot - 2 carrots, diced
- garam-masala - 2 tbsp garam masala
- stock - 200ml hot stock (lamb, beef or chicken)
- frozen-pea - 200g frozen peas
- potato - 800g potatoes, diced
- turmeric - 1 tsp turmeric
- coriander - small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- lemon - juice half lemon, plus wedges to serve
- In a large non-stick frying pan, cook the lamb, onion and carrots, stirring often, until the lamb is browned and veg is starting to soften, about 8 mins. Add the garam masala and some seasoning and cook for a further 2 mins until fragrant. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, tip in the peas and cook for a further 2 mins until the peas are cooked and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, cook potatoes in a large pan of salted water until just tender, about 8 mins. Drain well, return to the pan and gently stir in turmeric and coriander - try not to break up the potatoes too much.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Transfer the mince to a baking dish and top with the turmeric potatoes. Squeeze over the lemon juice, then bake for 30-35 mins until potatoes are golden. Serve immediately with extra lemon wedges on the side.
Lower sugar recipe for 6 people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has minced lamb, onion, carrot, garam masala, stock, frozen pea, potato, turmeric, coriander and lemon.