- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 432
- Fat Content: 24g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10g
- Carbohydrate Content: 35g
- Sugar Content: 9g
- Fiber Content: 8g
- Protein Content: 15g
- Sodium Content: 0.7g
Italian veggie cottage pie
- olive-oil - 4 tbsp olive oil
- aubergines - 2 aubergines, cut into chunks
- garlic-cloves - 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- sundried-tomato - 16 sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped, plus 1 tbsp of their oil
- oregano - 2 tsp dried oregano
- spinach - 400g spinach, washed
- plain-flour - 50g plain flour
- milk - 400ml milk
- cheddar - 125g cheddar, grated, plus extra to top
- mashed-potato - 800g ready-made mashed potato (fresh not frozen)
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large, liddedfrying panor flameproof casserole dish. Cook the aubergine, in two batches, over a high heat for 4-5 mins until golden, adding extra oil as you need to. Return all the aubergine to the pan with the garlic, tomatoes and 1 1/2 tsp oregano and cook for 1 min. Stir in the spinach, put the lid on the pan and leave for a few mins to wilt.
- Add the flour and stir through until combined. Pour in the milk, stir gently and bring to the boil. Bubble for a few mins, then stir in the cheese and season. Cook until the cheese has melted and the sauce has thickened.
- Mix the mash with the remaining oregano and spread over the filling. Scatter over a little moregratedcheese and bake for 10-15 mins until golden.
Vegetarian comfort food recipe for 6 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has olive oil, aubergines, garlic cloves, sundried tomato, oregano, spinach, plain flour, milk, cheddar and mashed potato.