- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 2 as a main, 4 as a side
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 233
- Fat Content: 10g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6g
- Carbohydrate Content: 21g
- Sugar Content: 7g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 10g
- Sodium Content: 0.8g
Kale with chana & coconut
- butter - 1 tbsp butter
- onion - 1 onion, finely chopped
- ginger - thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
- cumin-seed - 2 heaped tsp cumin seeds
- turmeric - 1 tsp turmeric
- ground-coriander - 1 tsp ground coriander
- tomato-puree - 2 tbsp tomato puree
- kale - 200g kale, large stalks removed, leaves finely shredded
- chickpea - 400g can chickpeas, drained
- vegetable-stock - 250ml vegetable stock
- coconut - 50g fresh coconut, grated
- greek-style-yogurt - 4 heaped tbsp Greek-style yogurt
- mango-chutney - 1 tbsp mango chutney
- vegetable-oil - 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- garlic-clove - 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- curry-leaf - 2 tbsp freeze-dried curry leaves (optional)
- Heat the butter in a deep frying pan, add the onion, then soften gently for 5 mins. Turn up the heat and add the ginger and spices; fry for 2 mins until fragrant. Stir in the tomato puree.
- Add the kale, chickpeas, stock and two-thirds of the coconut, stir well, then cover the pan. Bring to a simmer and let the kale steam for 10 mins until very well wilted. Mix in the yogurt and chutney, then season to taste - don't boil once the yogurt has gone in. Remove the pan from the heat, and leave it covered to stay warm.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan. When it's hot, add the garlic (and curry leaves, if using) and sizzle for 30 secs-1 min until the garlic begins to turn golden. Spoon the oil, garlic and curry leaves over the chickpeas and kale, then finish with the remaining coconut.
Immune-friendly recipe for 2 as a main, 4 as a side people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has butter, onion, ginger, cumin seed, turmeric, ground coriander, tomato purée, kale, chickpea, vegetable stock, coconut, greek-style yogurt, mango chutney, vegetable oil, garlic clove and curry leaf.