- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 305
- Fat Content: 17g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Carbohydrate Content: 30g
- Sugar Content: 13g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 0.3g
Kiwi slime pies
- shortcrust-pastry - 320g shop-bought ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- egg-yolk - 4 egg yolks, plus 1 egg white (freeze the remaining whites to make meringues another day)
- milk - 400ml milk
- golden-caster-sugar - 35g golden caster sugar
- plain-flour - 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- jelly - 5 cubes green jelly
- kiwi-fruit - 2-3 green and golden kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- Heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Divide the pastry into eight equal pieces.Rolleach out until large enough to line deep 7-8cm fluted tartlet tins or eight holes of a large muffin tin. Line the tins with the pastry, leaving a little sticking up above the rims, then line with paper cases and baking beans. Put the tins on abaking trayand bake for 10 mins, then remove the paper and beans, brush with the egg white and bake for 5-10 mins more until crisp and golden. Leave to cool for 5 mins, then remove from the tins and leave to cool completely.
- Put the milk in a pan and bring almost to the boil, then remove from the heat. Put the egg yolks, sugar and flour in a bowl and whisk with an electricwhiskuntil pale and fluffy - it should leave a trail that stays on the surface momentarily when the whisk is lifted. Pour a third of the hot milk into the bowl, slowly whisking all the time, until it has all been mixed in. Whisk in the remaining milk.
- Return the mixture to the pan, scraping it out using a rubberspatula. Bring slowly to the boil, stirring, until the custard is thick, smooth and glossy. At first, it will look a bit lumpy, but keep stirring and it will become smooth. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 mins, stirring. Stir in the jelly until the cubes have dissolved. Leave the mixture to cool until just warm, then divide it between the baked tart cases. Top each with a slice of kiwi and leave to cool completely.
Halloween recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has shortcrust pastry, egg yolk, milk, golden caster sugar, plain flour, jelly and kiwi fruit.